Thursday, June 9, 2016

Monday-It's here.

I wish I could enjoy "the process", the anticipation, looking forward to something a bit more. Instead I seem to focus on what all I have to so before I leave, and what is left behind.  It tends to make me rather panicky & anxious. The good thing is that once I leave, then I generally settle down & don't think anything more about it.

Lynisha and the two little boys took me to Denver where I was meeting up with Ruth at our Hotel.  We planned to spend the night there, flying out early the next morning.  Plans changed tho, so instead of an evening meal out with her and Lynisha before she and the boys headed back home, we were greeting by "It looks like we may need to change plans & fly to Chicago tonight to catch a flight from there in the morning."  So we headed to the airport instead. The joy of flying standby.  It's all good with me--as long as I'm not the one having to figure that all out!!


Our flight to Chicago went well, and we enjoyed having our seats together (in the very back row) I love seeing the sights out the window, only wishing I was aware of where we were looking down on. Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa & Illinois. It was interesting to see some large rivers winding across the terrain for a long distance. Times like this I always wish Geography was one of my stronger points.

Chicago greeted us with a massive display of lights, and coming from very small town Nebraska I'm always amazed at the vast miles of city, especially seen from the air.




It was quite late by the time we reached out hotel, and we had a short night, as we were up by 3:15 TUESDAY MORNING- and waiting for the shuttle for the airport again by 4a.m. We had plenty of time in the airport to get thru security & enjoy some breakfast while waiting for our flight.   The flight from Chicago to Newark was about 2 hours--and thankfully not longer as we didn't get seats together, and both of us were stuck in middle seats between someone else. My seat companions both males of another nationality, who (probably thankfully) didn't attempt any conversation and hers, one a very large woman who proceeded to pull out a bag of bugles & consume them at that hour of the morning.  I was however happy to have one of these for a snack--a favorite of ours since Laura first brought them back from Holland to us when she first visited there.  I have a feeling that I'll have some in my suitcase returning home!

We were happy to see Captain Rob waiting for us as we came into the terminal at Newark. We had all afternoon to wait, so we were fortunate to be able to have Rob put our bags in the Pilots room & we didn't have to haul those around with us or keep track of them. We did walk around the terminals & sightsee/people watch.  I'm amazed at how extensive some airports are. You can definitely find anything you want to purchase, or eat, (If you're willing to pay the price)! A mall in the airport.


It was quite interesting and rather an emotional thing for me to be at this airport for the first time.  When our then 14 year old daughter flew to Sweden/Finland by herself, 7 years ago, she flew from Denver to Newark.  I was allowed to go down to the terminal and wait with her in Denver, but then having her disappear into the depths of the hallway heading to the plane was the last I saw of her for 3 months.  She had a map of the Newark terminal and a phone in her hands, and this is how we both managed to get her navigated thru from the time she disembarked the plane at Newark until the time she reached the right terminal for her to find her flight to Sweden and again into the plane. To see and be in that huge airport, all I could think about was, "How in the world did Meshayla ever do that!"  (Or maybe more accurately, how did I ever let her do it. Probably only by not actually seeing it myself ahead of time!)


 A view of the NYC skyline from the inside of the airport

 I was feeling like I had my own personal luggage attendant, let alone pilot!  (It's all in who you know) LOL!


Selfies are definitely not my favorite, but hey,
what do you do in this day!
Our Plane we were taking to Brussels.

Finally time to load, and I was delighted to know that we really were getting on first class.  What a super fun experience for me!
As soon as we were on the plane, Ruth took me to the front to show me around and meet the flight crew. They insisted I have a picture in the Pilots seat--and with his hat on too.  How cool was that!

I was sorry this was so dark, taken with too much light coming in behind them, but fun to meet the crew.

 I definitely felt in the lap of luxury. Compared to seats and space in economy, this felt like I had my own personal apartment!

Here's Ruth across the plane from me.  There are two seats in the center in between us.








 All above were my views of take off from Newark.  Always fascinating to me.  I was sorry I missed seeing the statue of liberty, It was pretty small and although some of the other pictures are right in that area, I didn't continue to take enough to catch it!

 The meal service was amazing! white linens, personal service.  From appetizer to dessert, and yes, I majorly indulged and enjoyed it to the fullest.  I may not ever have another chance for this!
 All the time being able to watch the flight screen of where we're headed & progress!


 Here's our fight attendant serving Ruth, across the plane.  I wish I could have gotten a close up of the dessert cart!




I tried to keep the dessert fairly simple, but I confess to being quite stuffed from this huge meal! (And I didn't even get a picture of the soup & salad course)

 Look at all this space--makes me giddy! haha!  Our seats reclined & we had footrests that came out to make our seats into a bed for the flight. Quite roomy & comfortable.  I'm not sure I'll ever be able to fly regular class again haha!  Our flight was overnight, so it's going to be Wednesday morning local time when we arrive.

I'll leave you with this for now, and continue later.  It's 1:30 a.m. on Thursday morning at "Home" in our time zone, and already 9:30a.m. here in Brussels, and Ruth and I need to get a move on to do our exploring before a fun experience this afternoon at "Waffle making school".
Next Post Brussels!

4 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying your trip already. I had forgotten you sent Meshayla off alone. When Lynette went to Spain I was on tenterhooks until she got there but she was 19!!! And had flown before, several times. I hope the first class made up for the Bugles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh this is going to be such fun!!! your wonderful way with words & photos will enable us to enjoy your trip from our home :) First Class!!! crazy classy~~WOW!!! lots of love sistah dear ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am so glad you decided to do this blog!! I am following along with your adventure. What fun!! Glad you are having the "fun" time as well and glad you have a great traveling companion. Hugs from Valentine!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember being bumped up to 1st class when we flew to Germany. They were allowed to smoke in that section back then. I felt as if I were inside a cooking smoker! How nice that you were able to get bumped up! Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete