Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Things I find such a difference in.

I'm pretty sure that some of the things I find to be very different here are only due to the area of the country that I live in. Such a rural, wide open, small towns, Sandhills, prairie spot.  Even the whole of Nebraska which I've lived in nearly my entire life varies from East to West, North to South, and has some wide differences on landscape and size of towns.  But as a rule even then there's many things that unify it.

I really had no idea what to expect when I arrived over here, as I hadn't studied up on the geography, news or information.
I did not know until a few days before we flew over that Brussels had been attacked earlier this year.  We did not have any issues coming into the country at the airport, and everything went very smoothly.  I did notice armed military at the outside of the terminal, and no one was allowed to loiter.  Evidently they were not impressed with us when we stood there outside the doors trying to figure out where in the world to go, and still trying to get the internet connection to work so we could connect up with our ride.

We also noticed armed military around town during our walks and the time we spent in the square.  (I think Ruth stole a picture or two)  :)  I mentioned earlier in one of my posts about the bicycles for rent in Brussels, and all the people walking. Also city buses. So very European.  One of the other things I noticed in Brussles was people's dress.  It definitely was on the modest and dressier side. Very different than when I was in Finland and Sweden 6 years ago. 
Everything we saw was extremely clean, which we also find here in The Netherlands.

I didn't expect the 6 lane (at times) and very efficient freeways.  The vehicles are taxed by weight here, so one of the huge differences is the lack of pickup trucks, vans, SUV's. Nearly everything is small cars, and you can get alot of small cars into small places... Parking spots... roads!

I think I mentioned the roads before also.  The smaller "highways" and the streets in town are what we would consider one lane, generally with bike lanes on each side.There is no center line.  People are courteous  and everything flows. And....it's not because of a lack of traffic!

Another thing I find quite interesting, there is bike traffic everywhere.  In town, in the country, edges of highways, young children, mother's with bike carries for 1 or 2 children, teens, middle age and older age. They do not wear helmets.  The only helmets I've seen are on the few groups of racing bikers I've seen. In the states we have a very low population of bike traffic, and safety and helmets are hugely promoted. Here biking is huge, and there is no helmet use.

Trees--they are all over here.  No wonder people think we have no trees where we live! LOL  I do realize that is not a US difference.   I do love how there are flowering bushes, flowers, greenery everywhere tho, and it's nicely maintained.

Buildings.  Brick. Brick. Brick.  Streets; Brick, Brick, Brick!  Since I love the look of it, I find this quite charming!  But it is amazing to me to see country places where house, barn & any outbuildings are all brick versus our wood-frame homes.

I've only been in one other house, and one apartment so I haven't really seen a fair comparison of the inside of homes here.  Laura and Frederiks home is a duplex, which is quite common here,  and maybe I'll have more pictures later.  It is 3 story, and this first photo is looking down from 2nd story landing, around the corner to the first floor.  Another difference we don't see--very small, steep winding stairs.
 This photo is looking down from the 3rd flor, around the corner to 2nd floor.
I should get my exercise well everyday, as my room here is a lovely 3rd floor guest room with 2 large windows for plenty of light!


The washing machine is at the landing on the 3rd floor, and there is no dryers here, so we hang clothes on the lines strung across
the ceilings and on the clothes rack.  There is a roof window for plenty of light and ventilation. Now, as long as I don't fall down the stairs while pinning or unpinning the laundry!  (well, or any other time as far as that goes!) 
I really do miss my Sandhills sunrises and sunsets!  It's hard to get a picture of either one here in town.  Also because it gets light very early.  I took this one of the sunrise the other day from my window,.  It was a little after 4 a.m.  I went back to bed after that! 


Cooking--always an interest for me.  The difference in grocery stores, produce & packaging really is quite amusing to me.
 I've never seen egg cartons for 10 before. (1/2 dozen, or 18, yes)
 They say everything is bigger in the US, well, it works both ways.  To me everything is SMALLER here!!  I cannot imagine buying my flour in 1 kg packages. (a little over 2 lbs.  Sugar also.  It astounds me that in a country where breads & pastries abound that flour is sold in such small amounts.  Can you imagine this for my family?  Well, it's not just the flour & sugar, that is only one example!
 My baking here has been a bit of an experiment yet.  I do love the convenience of having my favorite recipes at my fingertips via the web but a stove & convection/microwave oven in Celsius is a challenge.
 My breakfast the other morning--hard "Crackers" of this type are common, and delicious the raspberries & blueberries were outstanding!

 A recipe for these avocado BLT's popped up on my FB page the other day, so Laura and I were anxious to try them out.  They are super delicious!  There are a couple different types of bacon to buy here, and nothing like we have.  You can see one of them in my mixing bowl, it's sold in small packages already chopped up.  Convenient I have to say for things like this.  For my family I would have to have 6 boxes of them at a time tho. (HAHA--maybe not quite!)
 Seriously, the end result was really good  Since I love BLT's, but have tried to not eat much bread, this is a fantastic alternative.
I loved these cute little cactus. I just wanted to buy them and take them home to my girls!  They were in the grocery store flower shop.

This is all for today--Tuesday morning here, and Laura and I are heading out to do some "shopping"  walking, exploring...or whatever!  It's sunny for the time being, a nice change from clouds & rain.  Also she wasn't feeling that well this weekend, & today is much better so we'll take advantage of our day!

  I love hearing from you!  Thanks for coming along, Until next time!

3 comments:

  1. I got so into your story, so interesting! Enjoy your day & hi to Laura. Reminds me of November & waiting for Saryah to appear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoying seeing how it is somewhere else!

    ReplyDelete