Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Saturday June 10 in Borne

We awoke to another beautiful day on our stay.  We have the 3rd floor to ourselves, nice big windows & airy A-frame room.  I hope to be quite fit from climbing two flights of stairs every day!  haha!  In fact, I've decided my goal is to be quite fit, tan, and pounds less when I arrive home than when I came after all the walking, biking & climbing I've already been doing. (hahahaha!)  Unfortunately this country seems to survive on bread/pastries, and lovely desserts, so maybe the best I can hope for is that they balance each other out?!

We were greeted on Saturday morning by a knock to our door, and when we opened it, here was a delightful surprise to welcome us. I guess I'm going to have to up my game at home when I have guests!!

Here are the steps , first photo looking down from the 2nd floor, then 2nd photo looking down from the 3rd floor to the 2nd,  Dalayna, Laura and I will not be "running" these steps to try to help bring on labor!!

 Our first activity of the morning was to walk over to the gardens, which are only a block away. Lots of  beautiful flowers, and everything growing & well taken care of &


 This is Laura & Frederik's plot. Not a large amount, but very impressive for a first time garden!
Ruth and I helped dig up & remove weeds from an area that wasn't turned under yet.  The soil is just wonderful to work with! That was our morning workout!




 The walk back down the street to the house
 Roses on the front curb lawns.  The city maintains this!


 And we come to the yellow door! 
Then we headed downtown



 And found a sandwich shop for lunch--think compatible to Subway, only more selection & nicer!


 Again, lots of bicycle traffic & narrow streets




 A cheese/dairy shop.  What an incredible selection!
 And clotted cream! Something I've never tried, but always heard about!



 More streets & houses in Borne

 Everything is brick! roads, houses, barns.....
The roads are so interesting to me.  except for the freeways & major highways, they are basically one wide lane with bicycle lanes on both sides, but two way traffic! Always in town, but also out of town!


 Probably you want to be careful stepping out your front door....watch your babies! ;)
 In the afternoon we continued our sightseeing & Frederik took us to see some windmills

 You can see how the top of the windmil moves, and so the wheel is turned to catch the direction of the wind.


 I seriously never thought about there being different styles of windmills.
 This is the oldest tree  here.  It is just amazing to me it's still alive.  But it is, and a beauty.  The inside of the lower trunk is nearly all hollow.  It's just incredible it's still standing, although they have put iron rods all thru it to hold it.





 We went on, down country lanes, past farm houses & beautiful places.  So unique to me, and again everything brick.  Many thatched roofs, but also tile, and shingles too.









And we got to see the white house too....haha!

 Our evening adventure was going kayaking for the first time!   Neither Ruth or I had ever been.  We totally enjoyed it!






And that ends our adventures for Saturday!
Coming up--Sunday and sightseeing on our bikes!

1 comment: